Seeing as I have now devoted 8 years of my life to scientific pursuits, I would have to say that I am a big fan of science. Recently, I found this website that deals with issues relating to public policy and science. I find it very facinating. I'd be interested in hearing your views on some of these topics. What do you think are the biggest scientific challenges facing our nation? Are we headed in the right direction? What should be the role of our Federal Government in Climate Change, scientific innovation, Energy, encouraging science education, genetic research, stem cells, space exploration, and scientific funding. Leave a comment. I want to hear how people on the outside view this issue too, so don't feel like you have to be an expert.
Friday, September 19, 2008
How do you feel about Science?
Posted by Quinn at 1:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am concerned about the future of stem cell research- my mother has multiple sclerosis and could benefit greatly from new strides- if the FDA would only approve them faster and speed them through the red tape. There is so much that could be done for needlessly sick people that is being held up by bureaucracy.
I'd also like to see more funding for scientific discovery- my father is a marine biologist and recently funding was drastically slashed for "non-applicable science." What ever happened to discovery for the sake of discovery?
I think stem cell research, if used with caution, can be a great benefit. I love that Scientists can now use umbilical cord blood.
My husband Brian is the scientist in our family. He said he could give you an ear full. I hope he does. I think you two could have some interesting conversations.
P.S. What is your field of study?
Science is lame. What has it ever done for us?
Zach-
Way to try to pin it on your wife. Amber, I absolve you of any fault in that comment.
This past summer, I saw how much government subsidies were driving the solar industry. It seems like energy remains a major problem that the free market system has been unable to deal with fast enough.
I also read a case recently about stem cells. I'm going to call you sometime soon to ask you some questions about it.
I'm just a mom who is totally dreading the science fair in a few years. I don't want to talk about it.
Post a Comment