These are some dehydrated refried beans that you used to be able to get from the cannery. We are so sad that they have discontinued them. We found a recipe that we really like in my Lion House cookbook.
Leo's Tortilla Soup:
2 tablespoons chicken base
4 cups diced canned tomatoes
1/4 pound butter
1 cup canned diced green chilies
3 cups diced onions
10 cups water
5 cups dried refried beans
2 cups crushed heavy corn tortilla chips
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2/3 cup diced green onion
2/3 cup fresh cilantro
Tortilla chips
Sour cream
In a large soup pot add chicken base, tomatoes, butter, green chilies, and onions. Cook until onions are translucent. Add water, dried beans, chips, and seasonings. Heat until thickened and beans are soft. Add green onions and cilantro about 5 minutes before serving. Garnish with crisp tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream. Yields 1 gallon, or 8 to 10 servings.
When I make it, I make half of the recipe and it makes enough for dinner, plus one meal of leftovers. I also add a few more beans to make it a little thicker. We thought it was too thin with the ammount it called for. If anyone knows where you can get dehydrated refried beans from now let us know.

3 comments:
Guess what?!?
I just made my first food storage order since we moved here, and our rep said that the form he was giving us was updated, and that everything on it should be in stock, and the refried beans were there!
We love them too, and I had been sad to hear that I couldn't get anymore.
I will let you know if my order actually goes through successfully....
There's still some at our cannery although we have been told they are going away. I ordered six cans this month, so hopefully I'll get them. Let me know if you want me to order extra and I can give them to you ... next time I see you, whenever that happens to be! :o)
Good to know they are good. We just got some for the first time. We haven't used them. Where do you get good recipes for your canned items? I will try that one on your blog. Stupid question and no I am not a cooking retard but is chicken base like chicken broth?
Post a Comment