Saturday, October 11, 2008

A Fun Surprise for Daddy!

Quinn rides the bus to and from school everyday. Clarissa has ridden with him a few times and loves the bus. The past few months I have always thought that it would be fun to hop on the bus in the evening with Clarissa and surprise Quinn. My plan was that we would be sitting on the bus waiting for him that he would hop on to come home. We were quickly running out of time, I wanted to do it before it got to cold, and before we have our baby. So, yesterday, I decided to do it.

Clarissa and I hopped on the bus headed for campus. The bus driver was nice and asked if we needed to transfer to a different bus. So I told him "we are just going to be riding trip ride as long as my husband gets on this bus." He looked at me and said, "do you know where he gets on because the bus has been re-routed today because of the homecoming parade tomorrow?" I couldn't remember the name of the street that Quinn got on, so now I had to decide if I should call Quinn and ruin the surprise, or just hope that he knew about the bus being re-routed. I finally decided that I just better call him just to be safe, and he would still be surprised that we were on the bus. So I asked Quinn if his route was different because of the parade, and he had no idea, so I told him we were on the bus and that it wasn't going to pick him up where he normally got on.

So, after a lot of worrying on my end that we wouldn't be on the same bus, and a bit of running on Quinn's end, he was barely able to catch the bus at a different location. It was still a fun surprise, but not as much fun as if we had just been sitting there waiting for him. But at least this way he was able to get on the bus. Had we not ridden it and found out about the route change, he would have waited at his bus stop for a while wondering why his bus never came!

We decided to make a fun evening out of our bus trip and stop at the KFC across the street from our house for dinner. Then we got some treats at the store to have while we watched a movie last night, we had rented Iron Man, then we had a nice walk home. Even though things didn't turn out quite as planned, it was a fun family outing, something different from our usual boring Friday nights at home.

5 comments:

Aprilyn said...

What a nice idea. I wish you could have just been sitting there adn surprised him but it still sounds like a fun Friday!

Jenny said...

What a good idea! Marcus takes the bus to and from school and I come to the bus stop with Samantha and Callie from time to time to surprise greet him. But I never thought of being on the bus! How fun. I should do that. And...we rented Iron Man last night too. We always try to hit those new releases in Red Box:)

David said...

That is a hilarious story. I can imagine the same thing happening to us.

We still haven't seen Iron Man. Did you like it? That reminds me, when will the family reunion video be released :)

The 3 Nomads said...

How frustrating that the one day you decide to surprise him is the day the bus was rerouted. It sounds like you guys had a great time anyway :) I sure miss how close everything is there.

Jackie said...

Oh how funny! You have such good ideas though, I wish I had a better idea of when Neal hops on the bus so I could try it too! You are so thoughtful!