Monday, August 17, 2009

Clarissa Explains It All...


Clarissa has an interesting way of looking at the world and of expressing herself. An example…recently Clarissa got a new pink baby doll. She very quickly chose a name for her doll… “Bacon”. Now, I have to admit that I think it is kind of a good name. I mean, what is better than bacon. If names are supposed to mean something, what’s wrong with naming something after the most yummy thing in the world. There are people named Candy, Olive, Alfredo, Kobe, Sage, Ambrosia, Cookie, Honey, Ginger, Rosemary, Frank, Colby and Kale. In that context, Bacon doesn’t seem that strange. In fact, according to Babycenter.com, Bacon has seen a huge surge in popularity in recent years.

But I digress. Yesterday, as we were getting ready for church, Clarissa was playing with Bacon next to the stairs. She started rattling Bacon’s head along the bars on the banister similar to how a prisoner would rattle a tin coffee cup along his cell bars. I was a little concerned with the way she was treating her baby and explained to her that she needed to be careful with her baby so she wouldn’t get hurt. Clarissa quickly explained back to me matter-of-factly, “Daddy, Bacon is not a people. She is a toy, so I don’t have to be careful”. She had a good point; I guess it’s good she can make the distinction.

Later at church I had to take Clarissa out of Sacrament meeting for being rowdy. We’ve really been trying recently to establish some good behavior during Sacrament Meeting. Clarissa usually does a pretty good job, but sometimes she gets a little too wiggly and loud. So while I sat with her in the lobby, I explained to her that if she wanted to go back into the chapel she had to behave herself and be good and reverent. After she had settled down and we sat back down in the chapel I gently reminded her to behave. She turned to me with a concerned look and said, “I want to be a people. I don’t want to be a have” (pronounced “Haive” as in be-have).

8 comments:

Beach_Crew said...

Quinner! I think Clarissa is brilliant in naming her doll Bacon. Who doesn't love to coddle bacon? Ryan wouldn't let me name our kids "red velvet" for some reason...Westy is absolutely naughty during church and he is only 7 months old. I swear, he can SENSE when I need him to "be a have" and does the exact opposite. So naughty.
Love the post. Taani

TOVAR said...

That was hilarious. I couldn't decide which made me laugh more: Bacon being a toy without feelings or the concept of being a Haive.

Janell said...

This made me chuckle, thanks! Clarissa is such a cutie.

Amber said...

She is so cute! I love the name Bacon. Zach named all of Cadence's dolls for her and neither one of us can ever remember their names. Most doll playtime goes like this: "Oh poor baby, Daddy gave you a weird name. We'll have to ask Daddy what it is when he gets home. I'm sorry that makes you sad. Maybe he'll give you a better one tonight." I'm hoping he'll let her name the next one.

Ashley said...

Cracks me up. Kids say the darnedest things.

Judy said...

This is such a great story. All the CA folk loved it!

Allison said...

I love three year olds!!! i wish my mind were as creative as theirs! Your little one seems to have an adorable personality!

Aprilyn said...

Oh, so funny!! She sounds like such a funny girl. :)