Friday, January 08, 2010

Clarissa's Quilts


Quinn and I made this quilt for Clarissa when she was a baby. She refers to it as her "pink blanky" and has to sleep with it. Luckily we don't have to take it EVERYWHERE she goes, but she does love it, and it gives her comfort when she is sad. When we first gave it to her, I tried to keep it on the back of the rocking chair and not have her use it, I tried to get her interested in other blankets she had. I didn't want it to get dirty, ripped, and ruined. Somehow she still chose it as her favorite blanky, and now it is dirty, and getting ruined. We have been fearing for the day when it is in shreds and no longer usable, because we were afraid she wouldn't understand that she couldn't use it anymore. However, I think we might have found a replacement.

The past few weeks Clarissa has told me that she needs a new RED blanky, red is her favorite color. Her requirements "it needs to be red, and bigger than my pink blanky, and we need to go to the fabric store and by fabric and make it together." I thought she would mention it that one time and forget about it. Not so. She continued to bring it up, so I decided we should make one. I had some red flannel already, and some other material that would match and asked her if that would work. She loved it and was excited to make her quilt.



Just a picture of Clarissa and Quinn cuddling with her blanket and reading a story.


I was working on piecing it together and left the room for a little bit. I cam back and found this picture, apparently she is already putting it to good use and loves it.


I had her help me sew, but didn't get a picture of us sewing together since we did it while Quinn was at work. She loved to push the button to help back-stitch, and she is the best helper at pulling out the pins.
Pinning it all together.




While I was sewing Clayton's quilt (a post to come on that soon) several weeks ago, she loved to hide underneath it on the table while I was sewing. So today, as I was sewing, she kept asking "can I hide underneath the quilt like I did with Clayton's sailboat quilt?" Apparently she remembered doing it, and it was a highlight. So, once again, I let her do it, she absolutely loved it. Even though she wasn't sewing it with me, she was there with me.



All done! (except for tying it, it's done enough for her to enjoy it until I get that part done.)


All warm and cozy!

I was very grateful for the opportunity to share something that I love, (sewing), with my daughter. I remember sewing with my mom when I was younger, and am really grateful to have those memories. I'm also very grateful that she had the patience to teach me how to sew. It's so much easier and faster to do it without a 3 year old trying to help, but it sure makes it a lot more fun. I'm glad that Clarissa was so insistant on having a new quilt and wanting me to help her with it, and I'm glad I took the time to do it with her, especially since I have many other things I should have done instead. But the smile on her face when it was done was definitely worth it.

3 comments:

Mama Williams said...

How wonderful! You are a patience good best mommy ever. (or how Clarissa said it).

Judy said...

I'm glad you had the patience to do it with her too, and I love the quilt!

Kristin said...

Nice work! On the quilt and the parenting! I wish I had the skill to pass on to my daughters.