Sunday, May 22, 2011

A Year with Diabetes!



Today marks 1 year since Clarissa was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. Oh, what a year it has been!

Last year as I sat in the hospital with her, I never thought life could go on and be as full as it seemed before she got diabetes. I thought that my little girl would cry every time I needed to check her blood and give her shots. In the hospital, it took Quinn, a nurse, and myself to check her blood and give her shots. She would not cooperate, and I was so worried about how I, her main caregiver, could and would have to do it by myself the majority of the time. Over time she got used to it, and didn't fight us anymore. Somehow, we have made it through the first year, and it's hard to remember what life was like before she had diabetes. I have a hard time remembering her eating food whenever she wanted, not counting carbs, not having to remember to give her a shot right after she ate, not checking her blood in the middle of the night, and not constantly worrying about her blood sugar being too high or too low. Now, a year later, it just seems like normal to us. Of course there are times that we aren't perfect, and that we do forget to check her blood before she eats something, or she says she's not brave anymore and doesn't want a shot, but generally speaking, it's just our new normal. We are surviving, and living a full and happy life. I am grateful for the challenges we've had over the last year, it has made me appreciate the health we do have, and the amazing medicine and things we know about how to take care of health problems.

Through it all, Clarissa is one brave little girl! Many people hate going to the doctor and getting even just one shot, but to Clarissa, it's just how her life is and always will be from now on. Over the last year she has received at least 1800 shots and had to poke her finger at least 1500 times to check her blood. Many times I give her her shot or check her blood while she is busy playing or drawing. A few minutes later she will remind me to give her the shot or check her blood, and doesn't even realize that I have already done it. It feels so nice to be at that point. I don't enjoy giving her shots, and feel bad when I know it hurts her, but I am so grateful that she is willing to take care of her body, and understands the importance of taking care of her body.

We are so grateful for all of the support we have had from family and friends over the last year. We are also extremely grateful for everyone that supported us in the JDRF Walk to Cure Diabetes. We felt the love and generosity of so many people. It truly was amazing to see how many people supported us and care about Clarissa. We hope that progress in diabetes research will be made in the future to help all of those that suffer from Type 1 Diabetes.










We love Clarissa so much, and are so grateful for the happy and amazing little girl she is, and all that she has taught us.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Grandma Connie said...

Clarissa is an amazing girl and such a wonderful example to everyone. She is a real trooper when it comes to dealing with all that has changed in her life this past year. Actually, your whole family has adjusted so well to your situation--and with a new baby too! We're so proud of all of you.

Michelle said...

Clarissa is so brave! I can't imagine having that many shots and being poked that often. It makes me sad. :( But, she and your family are an inspiration for everyone!

Kristin said...

Great job to all of you on taking life's challenges and moving forward with faith and acceptance. If Clarissa is handling it well, it is likely due to the good attitudes and example of her parents.