Back in June Quinn and I decided we were going to do a Triathlon in Boston this year, and be a team. Quinn's brother's family that also lives here in Boston does it every year. We decided that Quinn was going to do the quarter mile swim and the 10 mile bike, and I would do the 3.5 mile run. I started training back in June, although my training wasn't very religious since we were busy getting ready to move. I did at least accomplish a new first in my life time, and that was to run a mile without stopping. I know that sounds pathetic that I didn't even do it in highschool, but glad I finally did it. I realized that a big part of running is a mental thing, and I just kept pushing myself to run, and it wasn't that bad. Anyways, on to the day of the triathlon.

(Clarissa and cousin Nichole)
The triathlon was on September 10, at Cape Cod. We went down the night before and had a pasta dinner at Olive Garden, and then rested up for the big day, at least that was the hope. Clayton and Sarah woke up several times in the night, sleeping in a new place does not work well with my children. Plus, we had to wake up at 5:30 am, and leave by 6 so we could register, and start the race at 7:30. Everyone looked at our kids funny because we dragged them to the beach still in their pjs, but I wasn't going to wake up earlier than we had to.
(Clarissa and cousin Nichole)
The triathlon was on September 10, at Cape Cod. We went down the night before and had a pasta dinner at Olive Garden, and then rested up for the big day, at least that was the hope. Clayton and Sarah woke up several times in the night, sleeping in a new place does not work well with my children. Plus, we had to wake up at 5:30 am, and leave by 6 so we could register, and start the race at 7:30. Everyone looked at our kids funny because we dragged them to the beach still in their pjs, but I wasn't going to wake up earlier than we had to.
Clarissa and Clayton were also given swim caps, which they just thought was fun to put on Sarah's head. The kids had a great time playing at the beach while Quinn and I did the race.
Quinn did a great job with the swim and the bike. I survived the run, and actually shaved 3 minutes off my time from when we did this 6 years ago when we lived here before. It's not hard to shave off 3 minutes when you are running very slow and averaging a 14 minute mile. My goal was to run the entire thing, even if it was slow. I only walked for a couple of blocks for a water break. I was glad I ran the whole thing, but at the same time, after the fact, felt like I could have and should have run faster. I guess that's what next year is for!
We took a few pictures after the race. We took this one, and realized we were standing right in front of an ambulance, luckily we didn't have to ride in it.
Sarah was also extremely tired and hungry, so she was happy that we were done.
We had such a fun time doing the triathlon, and were glad that lots of family and friends did it. Quinn and I realized we are out of shape. We totally got wasted by all the other individuals and teams in our group, we came in last place of our group, but 2nd to last place of all the teams in the triathlon. Like I said, we are already looking forward to next year, and hopefully we can train a little better.

8 comments:
I'm very impressed!
Hey the important thing is you did it. Way to go!
Way to go!!
That's awesome. What a fun thing to do together! May be in a few years you can do the big Boston marathon!!
Great job!! I'm glad that you were able to meet your goal. Let us know when the next one is. Bruce has talked for years about doing a triathalon. I'm sure he would want to do it next year with you.
Hey--found ya! I was reading Crystal's blog and found you via a comment you made. Anyway, you guys look great! That looks like so much fun and a lot of work. Very impressive!
Wow good job guys! That is so cool. What a great example for your kids too!
Total side note but as Christmas is drawing near I think we are gOing to have Peterson family withdrawals! We miss you guys!
Wow--very impressive!! Can't say I'd be willing to do it a second time!
Post a Comment