I know I've posted a lot today, and hopefully you'll have time to check them all out. This is my last post for the day.
So, this is how we celebrated April Fool's at our house yesterday.
We invited some friends over to have a nice Sunday dinner with us, little did they know what they were getting into!
We started out with some
We all sat down at the table, and explained that dinner was still cooking, so we would start with cake. All of the kids were very excited to eat cake first, especially the cherry candies on top! They were very surprised when it didn't look quite right, and then the 12 year old asked to have his cake warmed up. Weird request, but Quinn was happy to grant it. The younger kids took a few minutes to figure it out and didn't really understand why it looked weird, and why we put mashed potatoes on the cake. So, it was really meatloaf, with mashed potatoes and cherry tomatoes on top. I have seen these cakes with the potatoes dyed different colors, but Quinn really hates when food is not the right color it should be, so I kept it all white. This cake was especially convincing to our guests at first, especially since they know I decorate cakes, so they didn't think it was too weird that I had decorated a cake for "dessert".
They thought it was a lot of fun, and kept wondering and guessing what we might serve them for their real dessert.
This is the best turkey I have ever made! (Quinn makes our Thanksgiving turkeys)
The turkey was complete with white meat, dark meat, and even some stuffing. I made a spice cake, and a white cake. I cute up the left over cake pieces from trimming it to make the stuffing. I needed some more oranges, and some parsley to decorate the platter better, maybe next time.
They were all very excited when we brought out an entire meal for dessert. Roast turkey, peas and carrots, and mashed potatoes and gravy. The peas and carrots were Sixlets and quarted orange Starbursts, and then ice cream with caramel sauce and yellow Starbursts for butter.

4 comments:
"That is so cool!" My kids loved this. We shared it during FHE tonight. You are so clever and fun and talented! We wish We could come to dinner too.
You are the awesomest mom! That looks amazing and so fun. I can't believe you cut up all those starburst.
Yay!! I was thinking of you this past weekend but decided not to call as I'm sure you were knee deep in all this cooking!! It all turned out so fabulous! I'll be calling clarissa next year to share her ideas!
Again, great job!!
You and Bethany are really too much alike. She dreams of doing this kind of stuff all year long. If you ask her what her favorite holiday is, she'll say, "Christmas." (But really it's April Fools!)
Post a Comment